Some People's Kids: American Gladiators were (and still are) Awesome

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

American Gladiators were (and still are) Awesome

When I was a kid American Gladiators was the shit, but since they're never on anymore this fact had slipped my mind. A few weeks ago ESPN Classics started airing them again, they are more exciting now, but for entirely different reasons this time around.

The 1st thing that has stood out to me, maybe because I would have only been 7 years old in 1989, is that Joe Theisman was the host for the first season, how awesome is that. To be honest he has not changed a bit since then, he still blows. His Monday night job might be over, maybe he can get this gig going again, check this sparkling commentary out:



Go Joe!! You, unlike any other, can break down Powerball.

Another thing that is great is you get to see the late 80's and early 90's in all their big hair glory. The sweat suits were great also, the guy who did all of the post competition interviews in the early years always had a "kick ass" sweat suit. I remember how cool these things were, and I had no less then 5 of them.

Next up is Malibu, and no words can do this guy justice so here's anther video. Thanks Youtube.


Sweet!!

I bet all the gladiators were on so many steroids during this show. I can only find evidence of one being caught with steroids, and that was Gold (aka Tonya Knight), and the only reason she was caught was because she was in some sort of international competition. This picture isn't her but if this women is not on steroids or actually a man I don't know what to say.



That can't even be a women on steroids, it has to be a man doesn't it?

Anyways American Gladiators was awesome. Thank you ESPN (it feels weird thanking them) for bringing this back into my life. I have a feeling that this may only be part one, I keep finding more as the digging goes on. Check back for more....

No comments: