Some People's Kids: If only I were ambidextrous

Friday, April 6, 2007

If only I were ambidextrous


This story is something I've talked about for years. Everytime I bring this up to my friends they tell me I'm crazy, (there may be something to that) but to me it makes perfect sense, it's almost too good. Now I can laugh in their faces because the NYT did a story yesterday on ALTERNATING ARM pitcher Pat Venditte, of Creighton University in Omaha, NE. After I read this last night, it was all I could think about.
There are so many possibilities for a pitcher with this talent. What if a switch hitter comes up to hit and how funny this could be.

"A switch-pitcher facing a switch-hitter could make a fine Abbott and Costello routine."
Baseball, above all other sports, is about which hand is the dominate hand. So if you can get past that limiting factor there are many places you can go.Pat could go back to back days pitching with very little problem, he's going to be able to pitch twice as many innings as your typical one throwing arm pitcher. He can switch arms for every hitter in the line up or every pitch. The strategy of this is almost limitless.
This talent alone will get this kid drafted into the majors and it will be very interesting to follow his development. Hopefully one day he makes into the big leagues, while on his way revolutionizing the game of baseball.

ps. Go check out the article there is a video with him pitching either way.

Throwing Batters Curves Before Throwing a Pitch (NYT)

No comments: